Here are the rules of acceptance as per Amethyst Marie’s nomination post:
1. Display the award logo on your blog.
2. Link back to the person who nominated you.
3. Link back to the Blog of the Year 2012 Rules page so people can read the real, complete, and fully accurate rules of this slightly-different blogger award.
4. State 5 things about yourself.
5. Pass the award on to 6 other bloggers and link to one of their specific posts so that they get notified by pingback.
So five things about me:
- I was named after the Muse of Tragedy-Melpomene (well, actually after my great Grandmother) and it took me many years to come to terms with this. When I was enrolled in primary school in Australia my name was too difficult to pronounce or spell and so was anglicised to Melanie. I was also known as Melly at school. Now I embrace my inner tragic Muse and am inspired by her. I was born in Northern Greece, Macedonia, in a small village KELLI, Florina , and come from goat herding stock. I migrated to Australia when I was two on the NEA PATRIDA (New Homeland) ship.
- I’ve loved books and writing stories since I was young girl. One of my first short stories to win an award in junior high was a piece written from the point of view of Marilyn Monroe’s lipstick. Yes, really. I’ve been obsessed with Marilyn all my life and was relieved when I reached the age of 37, outliving her tragic lifespan.
- English is my third language after Greek and Macedonian. I also speak a little Spanish and Italian and wonder if I was a Latino in another lifetime, so strong is my affinity with Spanish culture. I even studied Flamenco, Salsa, Tango, Bellydancing as well as Greek dancing! Nothing makes me come more alive than dancing and singing Greek and Spanish songs.
- Apart from teaching English/ESL/Drama/History/Health for the past 23 years I’m also a qualified nail technician, Fitness Instructor and fashion salesperson. I’m passionate about Theatre (Tragedy of course) and played Antigone (of course!) in a University production. My first time on stage I danced the Tango in a cabaret act and was hooked on live performance ever since. Now I mainly perform my poetry at Spoken Word events.
- I’m also passionate about perfume. I make my own Soy Scented candles, goat’s milk soaps, body lotions, massage oils, solid perfumes and lip balms with essential oils at Muse Inspirations Scented Soy Candles and Cosmetics.
So here are my favourite blogs that I hereby nominate for 2012 Blog of the Year Award.
- Christopher Ledbetter’s Blog The Oracle and The Muse is a wonderful site of all things Mythological which I love. He’s an exceptionally brilliant writer of Ancient Greek based thrilling novels ‘Banished’ and ‘The Sky Throne’ based on Zeus as a young man. He also writes fantastic short stories inspired by Myth and Fairytales and posts fascinating mythological musings. Enjoy Chris’ beautiful writing and look out for his work in the future. He’s destined for great things!
- Meg McNulty’s From Darcy to Dionysus is another standout blog from a beautiful writer passionate about Greek Mythology, Ancient History and Recency Romance. She writes exciting flash fiction and is working on a NaNoWriMo paranormal romance novel ‘Banshee’ at the moment. She has fabulous content on her blog and hosts wonderful flash fiction contests. Like me she has also written about Selkies. Definitely one to follow!
- Sophie Moss is my Selkie sister too and author of the successful Seal Island Trilogy - a wonderful series full of Selkie magic, romance and drama. She grows beautiful, magical roses, writes paranormal romance and her writing is fuelled by Guinness and inspirational trips to Ireland. The third book in the series, The Selkie Sorceress is coming out soon. Look out for it!
- Diane J Reed is the magical author of Twixt and Robin The Hood, both wonderful novels infused with magic, love and compassion for the lovers and believers out there. Visit her blog Bandits Ranch for cosmic readings and enchanted tales. She will enthrall you with her faith in magic and inspire you to believe in the power of true love.
- AM DAY is another wonderful myth-lover and author of the tantalising The Throne of Olympus. It’s a thrilling modern story with links to the Greek Gods which I love! She has a beautiful blog called Realm Play where she writes about her work with links to her trilogy and other projects. Check it out!
- Amalia Dillin is another fellow Mythology enthusiast and goat lover! She’s a remarkable writer who has just released her debut novel Forged by Fate, the first in the Fate of The Gods trilogy. It’s a fresh take on the creation myth of Adam and Eve. She blogs about Ancient myths with extensive knowledge and passion and loves Thor and more!
- Dario Ciriello writes with authority and self-deprecating humour on writing, Greek Island dream chasing, Science Fiction/Fantasy publishing, decorative painting and the arts at Dario Speaks. He is fascinating to follow and has written in a variety of genres. Add him to your list!
- Another newly discovered writer, blogger, teacher, mythlover like myself is Luciana Cavallaro whose blog is named Eternal Atlantis which is where my WIP novel is based! Like me, she is an ex-teacher who writes Mythology based fiction like the compelling Aphrodite’s Curse! She’s one to look out for too.